FOPAL’S Popular Monthly Sales
Depend On Your Generous Donations!
Please Bring Us Your Books, DVDs, Games, Puzzles, and Software
At our monthly book sales, Friends of the Palo Alto Library finds new readers for/users of your donated items and contributes the net proceeds to purchase new materials, technology, and furniture for Palo Alto libraries.
FOPAL contributed OVER $3 MILLION from 2000-2018!
FOPAL gladly accepts:
- Fiction and non-fiction books
- Textbooks and computer books
- Commercially recorded items:
- Audiobooks on CDs or cassettes
- Movies on DVD or Blu-ray
- Software and manuals
- Printed Ephemera:
- Black and white photos
- All handwritten items (journals, letters, diaries, envelopes with stamps, postcards, historical and unusual material)
- Maps (folded or rolled), except AAA maps of the United States
- Puzzles, games, and toys
- Sheet music and songbooks
ITEMS WE ARE TEMPORARILY NOT ACCEPTING:
- Art (framed or unframed, or frames)
- Records (45s, 78s, LPs)
- Music CDs
- Videotapes (VHS/Betamax)
- Travel brochures
- Greeting and blank cards
- Plushies/Stuffed Animals
Sorry, we also cannot take:
- Soiled, moldy, water-damaged, or partial books
(General Guideline: if you would not give it to a friend, please don’t give it to the Friends!)
- Magazines or newspapers
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Blank photo albums
- Small collectibles (figurines, bookends, souvenirs, etc.)
- Sports equipment
- Home copied/burned or non-commercially recorded audiovisual materials
- Legal statutes or codes
- Large items, such as furniture, lamps, suitcases, etc.
- American Automobile Association maps of the United States
Main Room: Monday-Saturday, 3-5pm
Cubberley Community Center
4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto
FOPAL is open for drop-off donations of up to 6 boxes or bags during our regular hours (except for the week before the sale).
No appointment is needed, unless you have a larger donation (7 or more boxes)!
NO DONATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED:
Sunday, October 8 through Sunday, October 15
Have a large donation (7 or more boxes or bags)?
Please call Janette Herceg, FOPAL Volunteer & Sales Manager, at (650) 494-1266 to make an appointment for delivery of your large donation.
We are able to pick up some larger donations. Since our pickup team is made up of volunteers driving their own trucks, minivans, and cars, their availability is limited.
We pick up from Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Stanford, Atherton, Woodside, and Mountain View, CA.
- At least 7 boxes (for pickup).
- Boxes must be of manageable size and weight (such as 10″ x 12″ x 15″ banker/file boxes or copier paper boxes) – We have flattened empty banker/file boxes available for you, just ask!
- Nearby place to park our vehicles for loading.
- Clear path that doesn’t involve a lot of stairs or other obstructions.
We need at least a week to schedule a pickup.
NOTE: No pickups will be scheduled in the week before our monthly sale or on the days of our monthly sale (second Saturday of the month and the following Sunday).
Use our Donation Pickup Request Form to leave a message for our pickup team, if you can meet all the requirements above. One of our volunteers will get back to you as soon as possible to schedule a pickup.
Your donations are tax-deductible. Be sure to ask one of the volunteers for a receipt.